Here are some ideas of ways that you can practice self-love everyday:
- Each day name one amazing thing about you, say it out loud and write it down. A new one everyday. You can keep a list going, or write them on a slip of paper and place it in a jar, reading them to yourself when you need a lift.
- Look at yourself in the mirror, look deeply, and say “I love you”, even if you don’t feel it or mean it, say it anyway. The more you say it, it will become true! And eventually you will believe it.
- Buy yourself flowers, just because they make you happy. Add a love note to yourself.
- Make a list of things that you like doing, that bring you joy, or fulfillment, and find a way to do more of that. Commit to doing something each day from the list.
- Is there something that you can change that would help you feel better about yourself? Name it, make a plan, and do it
- Affirmations- if there is something you want but don’t believe about yourself, create a positive affirmation statement about it and repeat that to yourself at least 3 times or as many as needed to feel it start to sink in. Example: I am worthy of all good things in life. I deserve to be happy, healthy and whole. I am lovable. I am worthy of love.
Self-love can have a big impact, not only in how we feel about ourselves, but how we interact with others, how we react to situations, how we present ourselves, and what we are able to give. One of my favorite quotes of all time is by Ghandi, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” If you want to see more love in the world, then be the love, and the best place to start is with you.